Friday, December 6, 2013

Vulcan V-94: I just might have to rethink this one.

You ever just hate something so much that when you find a good point about it you hate it even more? Well that is where I stand with the Vulcan V-94.



I bought this weapon as an impulse buy about 4 years ago.  I was looking for an MP-5 variant that I could own having carried an MP-5A3, MP-5SD and an MP-5K in previous chapters of my life I just had to have one in my collection or some facsimile there of.

I found this weapon on Gunsamerica.com and it was moderately priced vs paying thousands for others.  I did a quick google search and found nothing about the weapon at the time.  So I contacted the seller whom I found out lived only about 15 minutes from here so we met and in the parking lot of an Advanced Auto Parts and did the deal.  In his advertisement for the weapon he had noted that when the rifle is fired the trigger will stick.  This would not be a problem for me having graduated from the H&K armorers course and all other "clones" I had seen previously were basically the same.  Also upon doing the sale I found out that this was a straight "Blowback System" with out locking rollers.  (Again buyer beware).

I took the gun home and immediately pulled the trigger pack and noticed a few differences in the trigger pack vs an H&K trigger pack.  IE the ejector which is manipulated up and down in the H&K by the bolt is fixed (With a sloppy brazing job) in the Vulcan.  I also noticed a lot of sloppy weld jobs in the weapon in it's entirety.  After taking it apart and cleaning each piece, and a little stone / Dremel work I got the trigger to operate flawlessly, and took it out to my range and fired 15 rounds, with no problems, and I was happy at this point.

My next step in my life with this weapon was to amp it up a bit.  There was a Picatinny rail system mounted and it had a fore arm vertical pistol grip mounted.  I decided that a laser, light and strobe light were in order.  Also a must a collapsible stock was needed.  Again I jumped on the internet and looked up Vulcan Arms and my jaw dropped with what I was reading.  All reviews I found on line were bad.  No one had anything good to say about Vulcan arms which at this point was defunct and was now Blackthorne, and again no one had a nice thing to say about them.  I went to the web site and E-mailed them about purchasing a telescoping stock for the weapon and no answer.  (Also on the web site they made claims that they supplied arms to Special Forces.  Previously I thought that all Special Forces weapons said either, Colt, Beretta, Remington, Winchester, Benelli, or Barrett. I could be wrong.)  I sent 2-3 e-mails over a 2 month period before deciding to call.  Well for  about 2 weeks I called daily leaving messages, and my number to be called back.  Nothing till one day calling I got an answer by a jack ass who wanted to argue with me that I was wasting his time and that the company did't make that weapon anymore.  I had to get him on track and asked do you have a stock or not.  This is what gets me they did.  Gave him the credit card info and a week later I had my stock.  Now here is where the fun begins.  The holes for the mounting pin on the stock do not align!!!!!!  If I want to use the stock I have to use a bolt that is about half the diameter of the pin to hold the stock on.

I got all my attachments on the gun, new stock wooohooo I'm going to sling some lead.  WROOOONG!  I got about 4 rounds out then I had a double feed or so I thought.  What it was actually was a failure to extract and feeding.  Cleared this out, and again tried to shoot and I got a stove pipe, cleared and then I got the non eject and feed.  I took the weapon apart and figured out the the top of the ejector had snapped off.  I did not want to deal with Vulcan and or Blackthorne at this point so I went looking around on the internet and found hkparts.net.  Here I was able to buy an H&K trigger pack.  I ordered one for about $120 and put it in the gun and lead slinging I went.  WROOOOOONG!  Here I found that the the bolt in the Vulcan sits higher than the bolt in the H&K and the bolt will not hit the rear of the ejector to make it come up and expel the round.  I had to make some modifications to the weapon and put in a piece of steal on the trigger housing that keeps the ejector in an upwards position.  Also at this time I took the dremel to the inside of the receiver and polished out the bad welds.

Lead slinging I went. Again WROOOOONG!  I got 5 rounds out and misfire.  Went through my clearing a misfire procedures and misfire.  I cleared the weapon and looked at the rounds and no primer dents.  Took the gun apart and low and behold the firing pin broke.

The firing pin quest took about a year.  I tried H&Kparts.net and got an MP-5 firing pin which did not work.  Called Balckthorne a few times didn't say what type of parts that I wanted.  I just said I needed to get a part for one of their guns and never heard anything from them.  I found out that Atlantic Firearms used to sell Vulcan Fire arms.  I contacted them and they got rid of everything Vulcan a few years ago.  It wasn't a daily thing but over the months I looked on line for Vulcan V-94 firing pins and never found anything.

I was thinking of taking the gun and making it a wall hanging in my office and thought surely someone can make a firing pin.  I went to some local machine shops around here and nobody wanted to take on the project.  So on line I went.  I found firingpin.net.  They had a pretty good laundry list of firing pins that they already made so I sent them an e-mail asking if they wanted to try a Vulcan V-94.  I communicated with Chris Rook of Custom Instruments located in Boynton Beach Fla.  I sent a picture at first to see if they could in fact make the pin and then sent them the bolt assembly and broken firing pin.  Yesterday I received the prototype of the firing pin.  I installed it in the weapon and fired off 100 rounds.


Also in the interim I bought some H&K magazines and used them with the one Vulcan mag yesterday.  The vulcan mag double fed as it usually does.  I will get rid of it.  The above shots were fired from 15 yards.  My point of aim was center of the right target the sites are adjustable so I can take care of this.  This is where I am at the point of it did well and I hate it for doing so well.  As I already stated I fired 100 rounds , the only stoppage was from the original Vulcan mag, and as I fired I actually started liking the gun.

Go Figure

No comments:

Post a Comment